Staff Software Engineer, Visualization
Paige is a software company helping pathologists and clinicians make faster, more informed diagnostic and treatment decisions by mining decades of data from the world’s experts in cancer care. We are leading a digital transformation in pathology by leveraging advanced Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology to create value for the oncology clinical team.
We are the first company to develop clinical grade AI tools for the pathologist, which resulted in our receiving FDA breakthrough designation for our first product. Paige has also received FDA-clearance for our digital viewer, FullFocus™. We have also established multiple relationships with biopharma, laboratory, and equipment manufacturers that enables Paige to develop an ecosystem ready to help patients receive better diagnoses and treatment.
We’re seeking a Staff Software Engineer, Visualization to join our Visualization Team.
In this role you’ll collaborate with talented engineers to optimize visualization experience in our slide viewer which enables pathologists to seamlessly visualize scans of histopathology slides. These scans are called “whole slide images” and range from hundreds of megabytes to a few gigabytes - gigapixels-worth of data in a single image. The sheer size and complexity of whole slide images present many interesting challenges related in part to visualization, storage, and transfer. You will lead large scale technical projects and collaborate closely with multiple teams.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to be part of a high-performing cross-disciplinary team and to pursue a life-changing mission.
- Lead architecture and development of scalable, reliable and high-performance cloud applications and services.
- Define technical vision and expertise across multiple teams
- Enhance current products and services to best serve our customers, implement and test new features ensuring all functional and non-functional requirements (e.g. security, auditability, regulatory) are met
- Design, develop and maintain scalable, reliable, and high-performant solutions for the processing, visualization and rendering of whole slide images in Paige’s viewer
- Develop services to pre-process images created from a wide variety of scanners
- Develop fast frontend visualization solutions compatible with all modern browsers
- Build solutions in line with Paige’s software architecture based on microservices pattern
- Apply and improve software development best practices such as automated testing, DevOps, monitoring
- Collaborate and communicate across multiple disciplines, levels, and teams
- Mentor and train other team members with varying skill levels and experiences
- Lead incident investigation and resolutions
- Work within a cross-disciplinary agile team
- You hold a minimum of a Bachelors degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent years of experience.
- You have a minimum of 8 years’ experience as an Engineer in commercial settings, building cloud-native applications and services
- Extensive experience leading the design and implementation of scalable solutions with modern architecture patterns and paradigms such as microservices, event-driven architecture, containerization (e.g. Docker, ContainerD), container orchestration (Kubernetes or equivalent), multi-region and high availability
- Experience with Python, Rust, C++, WebAssembly
- Extensive experience with NoSQL (e.g. Redis, MongoDB) and relational databases (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Experience with debugging and observability software (e.g. logging, metrics, alerting)
- Extensive experience with software testing (unit, integration, performance, and API testing)
- You have outstanding communication skills, and you are comfortable talking to both a technical and a non-technical audience
- You enjoy working on cross-disciplinary and agile teams.
- Experience with rendering APIs such as WebGL, OpenGL, Vulkan, WebGPU
- Experience with low-level rendering techniques and basic understanding of image processing and compression techniques
- Experience with high-resolution image visualization frameworks (e.g. OpenLayers, Leaflet, MapBox, OpenSeaDragon)