Engineering Manager - Backend
Paige is a software company helping pathologists and clinicians make faster, more informed diagnostic and treatment decisions by mining decades of data from the world’s experts in cancer care. We are leading a digital transformation in pathology by leveraging advanced Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology to create value for the oncology clinical team.
We are the first company to develop clinical grade AI tools for the pathologist, which resulted in our receiving FDA breakthrough designation for our first product. Paige has also received FDA-clearance for our digital viewer, FullFocus™. We have also established multiple relationships with biopharma, laboratory, and equipment manufacturers that enables Paige to develop an ecosystem ready to help patients receive better diagnoses and treatment.
We are seeking for an Engineering Manager. In this role you will be responsible for a team of backend engineers working on the Paige platform which includes FullFocus™, our FDA-cleared, CE-marked viewer, and our Digital Case Management solution. We are looking for a leader who can empower teams to deliver high quality products efficiently. You will collaborate closely with extremely talented and committed individuals from the Engineering, Security, Quality, Regulatory and Product groups.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to be part of a high-performing team and to pursue a life-changing mission.
This position can be fully remote for applicants based in Canada.
- Responsible for hiring, organizing, training, developing, managing, and retaining a high performing, collaborative, and patient-focused remote teams.
- Coach and mentor team member to provider clear, constructive, and frequent feedback and support them to grow
- Establish and communicate clear organizational objectives
- Identify aspirations of team members and help them taking more responsibilities to grow
- Establish and track team objectives in line with product roadmap and company goals
- Responsible for continuous improvement of engineering and product development practices
- Promotes employee self-organization and helps the team to be more self-sufficient
- Continue to upgrade technical and personal skills through internal and external training
- Responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of frontend/backend applications, working in collaboration with the Engineering, Quality, Regulatory, Security and Product business units.
- Document technical architecture and engineering practices and communicate such practices to the executive leadership team and relevant external bodies.
- Define, implement, and improve agile practices to ensure delivery of predictable, high-quality releases.
- Keep abreast of emerging behaviors, technologies, and companies across digital and computational pathology.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or similar field
- Master’s degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent years of experience.
- 7+ years of industry experience building cloud-native, globally available applications and services including 2+ years of engineering management responsibility
- Track record of leading high functioning cross-disciplinary and agile teams
- Experience developing scalable solutions with modern architecture patterns and paradigms such as microservices, event-driven architecture, containerization (e.g. Docker, ContainerD), container orchestration (Kubernetes or equivalent), multi-region and high availability
- Experience with modern backend languages, frameworks, and tools such as Python, C#, .net core, sanic, NoSQL databases, Kafka
- Proponent of modern product development practices, including software testing, SecOps and Devops cultures
- Believe in team performance above individual performance