Senior Software Engineer, Visualization (Netherlands)
Paige is a software company helping pathologists and clinicians make faster, more informed diagnostic and treatment decisions by mining decades of data from the world’s experts in cancer care. We are leading a digital transformation in pathology by leveraging advanced Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology to create value for the oncology clinical team.
We are the first company to develop clinical grade AI tools for the pathologist, which resulted in our receiving FDA breakthrough designation for our first product. Paige has also received FDA-clearance for our digital viewer, FullFocus™. We have also established multiple relationships with biopharma, laboratory, and equipment manufacturers that enables Paige to develop an ecosystem ready to help patients receive better diagnoses and treatment.
We’re looking for a creative Senior Software Engineer to join our Visualization team. In this role you’ll collaborate with talented engineers to optimize visualization experience in our slide viewer which enables pathologists to seamlessly visualize scans of histopathology slides. These scans are called “whole slide images” and range from hundreds of megabytes to a few gigabytes - gigapixels-worth of data in a single image. The sheer size and complexity of whole slide images present many interesting challenges related in part to visualization, storage, and transfer.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to be part of a high-performing team and to pursue a life-changing mission.
This position is fully remote for candidates based in the Netherlands.
- Design, develop and maintain scalable, reliable, and high-performant solutions for the processing, visualization and rendering of whole slide images in Paige’s viewer
- Develop services to pre-process images created from a wide variety of scanners
- Develop fast frontend visualization solutions compatible with all modern browsers
- Implement and test new features while applying software development best practices such as automated testing, DevOps, monitoring
- Collaborate with peers and stakeholders to define technical solutions within the digital pathology field
- Work within a cross-disciplinary agile team
- Mentor and train less experienced team members
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or similar field
- Experience with rendering APIs such as WebGL, OpenGL, Vulkan, WebGPU
- Experience with low-level rendering techniques
- Basic understanding of image compression technique
- Experience with frontend data or visualization frameworks (e.g. D3.js, OpenLayers, OpenLayers, Leaflet, MapBox, OpenSeaDragon)
- Experience building cloud-native, globally available applications and services running on cloud providers (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience with debugging, performance and load testing and observability software (e.g. logging, tracing, metrics, alerting)
- Experience with modern product development practices, including software testing (e.g. unit testing, regression testing) and Devops
- Experience with Rust or WebAssembly
- Experience with containers (e.g. Docker, ContainerD)
- You enjoy working on cross-disciplinary and agile teams